Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chest Freezer Hinge

The spring counterbalanced hinge mechanism on my venerable Bauknecht chest
freezer recently exploded (both sides) spraying springs, washers, push rods
all over the place. I think I can work out how to reassemble them but the
gizmos which keep the push rods aligned with the projection on the lid
appear badly mangled and I can't really see how they were meant to do their
job. I've had quite a few hair raising twangs while I have been fiddling.

Anyone know a source for these hinge assemblies? Better still has anyone
successfully repaired them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Cain" wrote in message
o.uk...
The spring counterbalanced hinge mechanism on my venerable Bauknecht chest
freezer recently exploded (both sides) spraying springs, washers, push
rods all over the place. I think I can work out how to reassemble them but
the gizmos which keep the push rods aligned with the projection on the lid
appear badly mangled and I can't really see how they were meant to do
their job. I've had quite a few hair raising twangs while I have been
fiddling.

Anyone know a source for these hinge assemblies?

maybe worth tracking down where the local suppliers of new white goods take
the old goods when they have installed/delivered the new goods - for one
such around here it's a large lock up unit on an industrial estate filled
inside with new goods and outside piled high with dead white goods awaiting
onward transport.... a crumpled tenner could clinch a spares "deal"?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Roger Cain" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Yes, but watch it taking the hinge off.
I used to repair refrigeration, one of these hinges belted me in the face. I
still have the scar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
o.uk...
"Roger wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Local tip might be able to help. Take em off with the lid open to
minimise stored energy.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
o.uk...
"Roger wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Most tips will not allow this.
Health and Safety.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Cain" wrote:
The spring counterbalanced hinge mechanism on my venerable Bauknecht chest
freezer recently exploded (both sides) spraying springs, washers, push rods
all over the place. I think I can work out how to reassemble them but the
gizmos which keep the push rods aligned with the projection on the lid
appear badly mangled and I can't really see how they were meant to do their
job. I've had quite a few hair raising twangs while I have been fiddling.

Anyone know a source for these hinge assemblies? Better still has anyone
successfully repaired them?

I buy all my appliance spares from
espares.co.uk
or
4ourhouse.co.uk
They've always been good, last thing I needed was spring loaded hinges for
our double oven and yes they had great potential for serious personal
injury too so be careful

HTH
deano
--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
o.uk...
"Roger wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Flash a crumpled fiver at an early stage in the discussion and use a
rural tip!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
o.uk...
"Roger wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

First of all you need to get your nose into the lock up where all the highly
dangerous fridges are stored.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Cain" wrote in message
o.uk...
Better still has anyone successfully repaired them?

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I have been VERY wary of this device since the
push rod disengaged and gave the ceiling a mighty thump.

Have fashioned a push rod guide from a piece of scrap galvanised iron
(ex-joist hanger) to stop it wandering away from the arm it is pushing
against. So far no flying metal and the push rod is still nicely aligned.
Just got to make similar for the other hinge and I should be back in
business :-)