Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Democracy in Action

On 12 Aug 2011 11:21:24 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

On 12 Aug 2011 01:14:42 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

I'm agreeing with most of what I didn't quote.

You may be thinking 80K is a lot around here, but it isn't. I am
happy to help with extras That they couldn't afford for the kids if I
didn't help. Going into more details would be too personal, sorry.

Don't want personal information, but if they can't live on that, move.
It really is that simple. I've done it, a few times.

Don't want to move from this idyllic place, a National Historical
Landmark http://radburn.org

Then starve, and stop whining.

Maybe competition between schools in academic subjects
could be more emphasized. Although, depending on what the parents
do with the info, it is sufficiently known which schools do better.
People will go live in those districts.

So I'll mark you down as being in favor of a permanent underclass.

You know better than that.

That *is* what you're advocating.

Sorry, meant as a hypothetical possibility - "Maybe"

When you propose a "solution" you really do have to look at the likely
results.

I'm in favor of helping everyone attain their
best. How is the problem/question. And in the spirit of American
competitiveness that I thought you would appreciate, I wrote the above
"Maybe " etc

Let schools compete for their "customers". Attach the government
tuition check the check to the children. Stand back because things
will change, fast!

No government tuition checks, please. Why impose another bureaucracy on
what already has plenty of paperpushers? Believe me, from my experiences
with granting agencies, instituting a simple paper check give-away will
lead to a need for 2-20 paper handlers per school, on top of the
paperhandlers at the "government" and not to speak of the possibilities
for gray or black markets.

It has to be done that way so parents can choose the schools. Without that
choice (competition) the system cannot change.