Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 17 spline shaft

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 22:38:43 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:11:05 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
I'm restoring a 1964 garden tractor. The shaft for the cone clutch is
17 spline. In all my searching, I only find 16 and 20. The OD measured
0.7550.

Is there a 17 that is standard? Sources? What I actually need is the
interior spline bushing (with or without flange) that slides on the
shaft.

Andy

Do you have a copy of the Machiery Handbook? It may be in there...

That is one of the places I found 16 and 20 in that OD.

It's probably a special. I'm working now on a gear that I will need to
make a cutter for because it's a special. This gear is for some type
of winch for a fishing boat. You could make a cutter and broach the
teeth one at a time yourself. Ivan Law put out a book called Gears and
Gear cutting that is a great book and aimed at HSM types. Costs about
20 bucks.
Eric