Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Democracy in Action

On 8/11/2011 11:46 PM, Leon wrote:

snip of the key to educating a child

I attribute a lot of his of his success to good work ethic and some one
being at home when he got home from school.

"Parental involvement" ... hardly any kid succeeds without it today.

We personally met everyone of my kid's teachers from K-12; had weekly,
if not daily, note/email correspondence with them; confirmed every
parent/teach appt and ARD meeting (and, when it appeared necessary, in
writing, with a letter indicating we may be represented by legal counsel
... it was indeed necessary on occasions and it insured they would pay
attention, and by gawd they did!); and Mom was seen several time a week,
walking the halls and visiting with the teachers.

The rationale was that they were educating our kid, we were paying for
the education, and we believed in letting them know, in no uncertain
terms, that we, as involved parents, demanded stellar performance out of
both the kid, _and the teacher_.

Although my youngest was "main stream", she was a special education kid,
with an above average IQ, who, simply due to a severe learning
disability, required alternative methods to gauge the depth of what she
actually learned from her school work. It was amazing how many teachers
balked at the (legal) requirement for them to do so.

It is certain that without the actions in the first paragraph above,
this kid would not have ever gone on to college (as she did), and would
have fallen through the ever widening cracks in the educational system.

In short, the educational system in this country was originally
instituted to provide an education ... it has now been subverted, mostly
by progressive machinations (union, etc.), to be _primarily_ concerned
with its own perpetuation in current form.

You can proffer opinions to the contrary until you're blue in the face,
my friends ... but you can NOT overcome the ACTUAL fact of the
deplorable state of the educational system in this country today!

Again: "Parental involvement" ... hardly any kid succeeds without it today.

Bryan is still single, is a home owner and hopes to be "totally" debt
free by the end of next year. Not too bad for a 23 year old guy.

About that "arranged marriage" seminar that is upcoming ... :~)

OK,OK,OK, I'll stop bragging! I've had TWO beers. ;~)

You're authorized, Bubba.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010