Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Democracy in Action

On 11 Aug 2011 21:28:03 GMT, Han wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
m:

So not putting in a full day is OK??? Wish I could come in late and
leave early and have the summer off. How about making all teachers
more productive by putting in a full day and letting all of them keep
their jobs.

When I see my daughter and SIL come home from a day's teaaching, I can
clearly see they put in a whole day's work. Maybe there are those who
just pretend to work, but I believe most are doing right.

They don't *have* to. The private sector doesn't have the silly concept of
"tenure". If you don't perform, you're out!

Yes, they may have the summer off. They don't get paid then, or at least
thay have the choice to get paid full pay during school, and nothing
during the summer, or to have it spread out.

They *do* get paid, whether they get paid over nine months or twelve, they get
paid a salary. They can (and often do) work a second job. In some states
they're also eligible for unemployment.

My SIL is a bridge fanatic,
so he is earning extra money in the summer playing professional bridge.
No idea how that works exactly, but hopefully he brings in enough so I
don't really have to supplement them.

You?

Yes, times are tough, for everyone. That's when you want teaching to
be done well, and you should be willing to pay for that.

We are paying for that! We are not gettin g what we are paying for.

In some cases, indeed you're not getting what you pay for. That's not
acceptable, and work rules need to change. In other cases, teachers are
NOT rewarded enough for their work.

Bring on the pay-for-performance, competition between schools, and dump
tenure. You can't just pay more, though.