Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Democracy in Action

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 8/11/2011 11:54 AM, Han wrote:

The counterargument is whether you'd want your kids to be educated by
high school teachers who make 40K/year.

I was educated by teachers that made far less and were far superior to
most today. Our educational system throws more money at the problem
than ever and yet the results are far worse. A higher salary is not
going to get a better teacher. I guarantee you that if all teachers
were given a 50% raise today that in 5 years the same teachers would
still be teaching and the kids would not be learning any more than
they are right now. If you want the kids to learn more the teachers
will have to be held to a higher standard, be re-certified
periodically, and paid for their performance.

Agree. Teachers should be more motivated (especially the ones doing it
already for a long time) and kids should be more willing to learn. Ask
the Brits were the parents were ...

The work rules now stink. Get tenure, and you're practically set for
life. OTOH, capricious or malicious firing is very difficult now. It
goes both ways, but I agree, it should be easier to "grade" teachers and
remunerate accordingly. Of course, if you get dealt a bunch of really
unruly and stupid kids one year, life sucks.

As far as the hours worked, from what I see my kids do, it is a
rather consuming job teaching math& physics in Paterson NJ and
similar districts. Apart from the miserable shape those communities
and kids are in, the hours of school and after school efforts plus
the hours of grading and lesson planning would have exhausted me
within a year. Glad it's not my job ...

--
Best regards
Han