Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Epoxy repair/filler for exterior wood.

On Aug 11, 12:33*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On Aug 9, 12:01*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:

Awl --

I got rotted spots, wood joints, etc, (Englich tudor- 5/4 type wood) and
would like to use a weather-proof filler-type epoxy, ideally with some
mechanical strength (which would proly exclude putties, etc), but I'll take
what I can get, so as not to have to replace whole boards, etc. *It will of
course be painted.

I'm going to need at least a few cubic inches of this material. *Is there a
generic name for this stuff?

Any suggestions? *Hopefully I can get it locally, a HD or sumpn, but
internet is OK.

Is there a kind of hierarchy of exterior fillers, putties, epoxies,
structural epoxies, ito strength?
--
EA

Sure fix: *Abatron Wood Epox & Liquid Wood
Cheap fix: Bondo

I've used both Bondo & Abatron...... 25 years ago.

Redwood window sills....Bondo failed in a couple seasons, Abatron
still sound.
Your choice.

Cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

Polyester resin is a pain to work with for my 2c. It fires all at
once or never fires. Epoxy is way more forgiving and will always
eventually harden. Plus you can select a hardener to suit your
working time needs. Only down side is epoxy is more expensive that
polyester.

I buy from US Composites.

For penetration I add about 10% alcohol after mixing the resin and
hardener. Epoxy will still work on wet wood but you get better
penetration if you can dry it. I leave a fan pointed at it for a
couple days.

For filler you can mix just about anything with epoxy. Chopped
fiberglass, micro balloons, talcum powder, sawdust, etc. Again mix
the resin and hardener first then add the filler.