Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Democracy in Action

busbus wrote in
:

On Aug 11, 8:18*am, Han wrote:
"You" have given these people contracts, that "you" now are going to
just throw out? *Once you go that way, maybe the next step is that
your pension/SS/whatever will be taken away. *"You" is in quotes
because the sheeple of NJ have allowed their representatives to do
this.

I don't know where you live, but in NJ the legislature has
consistently allowed the state NOT to pay into the teachers'
(police/whatever) pension plans. *Now, gov christie says, OK, you
teachers need to pay more, but what of the unfunded state
obligations? *It almost seems that the state stealing from the
pension plans is OK, and the pensioners better fend for themselves.

Well, things like pensions "changed" at companies while I was working
there and there was nothing I could do about it.

Health care insurance costs rose for me without notice and there was
nothing I could do about it.

My job was outsourced to a low-cost provider and there was nothing I
could do about.

Sorry, I just don't like hearing the whining.

It didn't change that much at my academic employer in New York City. But
then, it always was a "defined contribution" benefit, rather than a
"defined benefit" plan. It was up to me how and where to invest (within
the limits of 403b5.

Health care costs kept and keep on rising for my coworkers and me
(retired) too, including contributions from us, and copays.

I think that whining is in the eye of the beholder. If you had a
contract, did you like it being canceled? My contract was year to year.
Luckily, I worked for 34 years with (hardly) a hiatus, although 1 year
early on I had to take a 30% pay cut. It's possible that I could have
insisted on being paid, but then my performance review could have been
bad at the end wry grin.

--
Best regards
Han