Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Democracy in Action

On 8/11/2011 7:18 AM, Han wrote:

I don't know where you live, but in NJ the legislature has consistently
allowed the state NOT to pay into the teachers' (police/whatever) pension
plans. Now, gov christie says, OK, you teachers need to pay more, but
what of the unfunded state obligations? It almost seems that the state
stealing from the pension plans is OK, and the pensioners better fend for
themselves.

Police don't seem to be hurting:

"The median salary for the state’s 20,525 municipal officers was $90,672
last year, meaning half earned more and half earned less.

A total of 6,198 municipal officers made at least $100,000 last year.
Ninety-nine of 466 towns that pay police have six-figure median
salaries. Most are in North Jersey, primarily Bergen County"

That's twice the US median household income (read two wage earners) paid
by the taxpayer.

"Any police officer that says they’re not making enough money needs to
re-examine themselves," said Saddle Brook Township Police Chief Robert
Kugler. In that Bergen County town, 30 of 31 officers made six figures
last year, and the median salary was $121,177.

Police say their salaries reflect New Jersey’s high cost of living,
years of experience on the job and union contracts allowing officers to
quickly rise to the top of the pay scale. They also say they have
recently made sacrifices in union negotiations and are being forced to
pay more toward their health care."

Making that kind of money, seems like they could afford to pay more
toward their health care and their pension plans?

Poor babies ... As a taxpayer who makes no where that, I simply can
barely afford any kind of healthcare for my family.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010