Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Lesher David Lesher is offline

Default Question: US 220 vs Aussie 220

Jon Anderson writes:

There is one idea I have. Can you get a 120-0-120 generator, and
size the pulley ratio to spin it at whatever rpm [likely 1800
or 3600] to get 60 Hz out?

That was my first idea. Hang the generator on a frame and drive it with
a 50Hz electric motor, belted to give the correct RPM at the generator.
But this would mean any time I was going to use my stuff, I'd have to
fire up and run a large electric motor. Power is not cheap there and
going up rapidly.

No, it would mean you would run that for those things not
fixable via other cures.

I really think I'll be OK. My Bridgeport is rated 50/60Hz right on the
motor. Anything else I can hang a 3 phase motor on, I'll do so, along
with an inverter, or simply replace the motor there with a 50Hz.

Obviously, a multiphase VFD will work. It will not care what the
input freq is; but you may need to derate it if you don't have
3-ph there. And have a load reactor, of course.

All my hand power tools run brush motors, no problems other than
slightly lower RPM. The blade welder is 220, though our 220. But while I
seem to be getting slightly conflicting info here and there, it seems
unlikely that'll be a problem as the full load cycle is very short.

As I said, the 50 Hz is only half of the issue. The 240 above neutral
is the one that can kill you, vice just smoke the gear.

The oven shouldn't be an issue with a proper step down, and the hand
held spot welder, well, I haven't used it here in years and years,
starting to think I just might sell it.

Any transformer will be worth more than a ?oven? [I don't recall
what this was.] it can run. Transformers are not cheap new.

I've finally found someone down under that knows a few real
electricians, she's going to see if any will field a few
questions from me. That should set things straight.

Don't count on them knowing how those crazy Yanks wire things.

--
A host is a host from coast to