Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

On 2011-08-10, Pete C. wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:08:01 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2011-08-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:57:15 -0500, Ignoramus11295
wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Didn't catch this part the first read. I run a 1 ton F350 Ford with a
24,000 lb. double dually trailer. I got one with a beaver tail so the
fork truck runs right up on it. I'm glad I got the biggest engine
made, lowest rear end ratio, and manual tranny. The unit is still WAY
under powered with a ten ton load on. I bet they'd shoot you in
Chicago land driving 30 on the Dan Ryan.
You are a "farmer", but I am not, and I would not be allowed to drive
such a rig.

It's questionable whether a farmer is really allowed to drive a rig that
far over GCWR...
That and I'm sure I can sell this rig, then buy a semi and have money
left over.

Karl

You'll probably get better MPG too. Certainly it will handle better and
be safer.

Guys, I am wondering about something. Tractors that haul semitrailers
are probably used until the last moment, or until they become too
unreliable? Are there any possibilities, realistically, to get a used
rig for relatively little money (compared to new), that would still
have enough life to go another 100k miles?

Sure, How many would you like. There are TON's of them out there where
a guy just HAD to be a driver and then found out what it's really like.
Or ones that are off lease or brokered rigs that sleets are selling off.
Whatever you look at have them pull ALL the maintenance records, run an
oil sample from THAT rig and have a good mechanic check it over before
buying. Some parts are not that bad to replace but there are more than a
few that will eat your wallet and come back for seconds!!!

100K is child's play for most rigs today. Especially when you likely
will not come close to capacity hauling.

--
Steve W.