Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

On 2011-08-10, Pete C. wrote:
Ecnerwal wrote:
It's a big hassle to get a CDL

It's pretty simple really, just did it myself.

(especially these days - homeland
security wants to stick their oar in too.)

Only if you want the hazmat endorsement, they have nothing to do with
CDLs without hazmat endorsements. I go my hazmat endorsement and it was
fast and easy, and extra $60 or so, a quick appointment for fingerprints
and my updated CDL with hazmat endorsement in about two weeks.

I do not quite see the point of hazmat endorsement for me.

Then you also have to
maintain logs, etc.

Yes, if driving CMVs for commercial use. Personal use of CMVs is exempt
from logs and hours of service, but since Iggy is looking to haul stuff
for his business he will need to keep logs, which isn't that big a deal.

So, I need to keep logs only for business stuff?

"Went to Dairy Queen"

This is where it gets "fun"

The laws say you have to keep an accurate log for the hours you are in
operation as well as 7 days prior. So if you went to an auction to buy
stuff last Saturday you would have logged that. Then you decide to take
a load of stuff to another auction this Saturday. Well now you have to
log the days in between as well because those now count. Also the way
you log hours gets interesting. You basically have four hour types, Off
Duty, Sleeper Berth (must be an actual sleeper) Driving and On Duty Not
Driving. Driving is just what it says. You are actively the driver of
the vehicle.
On duty Not driving gets interesting because anything that is connected
with the business but NOT driving counts. Loading the truck, getting
fuel, even sitting at the auction house or at a shop waiting to buy/load
items gets counted.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...k-examples.htm

You do need a CDL-class-suited vehicle, and a
CDL-class-suited licensed driver to supervise you - If you don't have a
buddy that's a truck driver with his own truck, that's much of the
reason for "CDL School" - access to those items.

You can rent a CMV for your road test, and when you get your CDL
"learner's permit" after you pass the written test, the truck rental
place can take you out on the road to familiarize yourself with the
truck before your official road test. It's not brain surgery, if you can
drive a pickup with a trailer you can most likely drive a semi just
fine.

I can drive a truck with a trailer. The longer the trailer is in
relation to the towing vehicle, the easier it is to back up with it.

Yep. That is why practicing with the vehicles gets to be important. Oh
and FYI unless they have changed the driving test the basics are
Pre trip inspection (tires, lights, safety gear, leaks,security of the
load, HUT tag and such) Engine start, air pressure and gauges check,
Driving forward and making turns as the brownie directs. Straight line
backing, and parallel parking were in there as well. Nothing like
backing a west coast tractor with a 53 foot box in a straight line then
pulling up and dropping into the cones and having the brownie get out
and use his foot to measure the distance from each set of duals to the curb!

IMHO, if going to school (or exploiting buddies), if you have a need to
get bigger than you can drive on a "car" license, just go for the
tractor-trailer (usually class A) license - you can drive anything else
with that one, and have a backup career, and more options in buying
trucks.

Yes, certainly, get the A and the extra endorsements, it's not much more
effort. I got all endorsements except for passenger.

Thanks!

Both passenger and Haz-mat require background checks, and fingerprints.
If you do one you may as well do both. Gives you the option of buses and
such if you want a part time job.

--
Steve W.