Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

Ignoramus11295 wrote:
I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

Had mine since 1984 does that count?

I can study the study questions by myself, and I would prefer not to
go to a CDL school for a whole month.

Possible to do as long as you study the book and pay attention.

Can I somehow pass it with at-home preparation?

Sure. Just grab the book and study.

Also, can I pass that test with a vehicle that does not require a CDL?
NOPE. You MUST take the driving test on a vehicle that falls under the
class you are getting.
And make SURE that the vehicle you are testing on is legal for the class
you are testing on. It has to be licensed and registered and have
insurance as well as having all the DOT required equipment.

I will do some
finding out by myself also, but I wanted to hear if anyone has any
practical experience.

Be prepared when you go to the DMV. CDLs are NOT cheap.
Also you will have to have your DOT physical every two years(unless you
have certain medical problems), NOT the same as your normal physical.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/s...cal-Report.pdf

Paperwork wise you will need to keep a log book if you are hauling for
hire. Make sure the vehicle has all the proper DOT required items and
that you pay VERY close attention to loading/tarping/securing the load.

Hope you don't drink or use any kind of drug. If you hold a CDL you can
be required to take a drug test at any time, and the limits and
fines/jail terms are different than non-cdl tags.

--
Steve W.