Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Somewhat OT (I think) Electrical question

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:35:20 -0400, "Justin Time"
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
Try a heavy-duty light dimmer, they work quite well. Get one rated
for as much wattage as the max motor wattage, probably a 200W dimmer
would give you some margin for a 150 Watt motor.,

After doing a Google search and reading a bit of info, that's exactly what I
decided to do. By chance, we had an extra dimmer from work and I brought it
home, connected it and it works very well.

If using a dimmer, you want one designed for dimming low voltage
lighting with magnetic transformers - not electronic. These have the
circuitry to handle the high voltage spikes caused by the circuit
opening (or commutate on the rizing edge instead of the faling)
Standard (decent quality) dimmers are 600 watt