Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Somewhat OT (I think) Electrical question

Though, this isn't specifically about "Home Repair" it is an item in the
home.

I made a project for the wife which required the use of a sewing machine
motor (but not the sewing machine) which has the speed control foot pedal. I
want to remove the foot pedal and connect a dial speed controller,
preferably one with variable speeds, as opposed to a 3-speed type. I tried a
ceiling fan speed control which does contain the 3 speeds of high, medium
and low, and it's not what I want. For starters, low is obviously too low
since the motor only hums, medium appears to be OK speed wise but high is
too fast. I want to provide the wife the option of variable speeds.
Therefore, the big question is, doesn't anyone know if and/or what type of
speed control I can connect with the motor?

BTW, if it helps, according to the label on the motor, it's a 110v, 150watt
and 1.3 amps.

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

OK, humor me. Why can't you dismantle the foot pedal and use the speed
control from it?

The pedal is not a dial type. When viewing the inside, the pedal makes
connects with layered contacts. In other words, as you push the pedal, it
connects with one contact, then further push connects with another contact
and so on as if stacking chips at the end of an arm. A dial controller has
the contacts in a circumference and increases power as the dial increases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Thank you

Hi,
Depends on motor design ie. number or amature poles, windings, etc.
If my wife wants something like that, I'd just experiment with electronic
rheostat until I hit the jack pot to her satisfaction.

That could get costly if I don't find the correct one soon enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Justin Time" wrote in message
[...]

Go to eBay and search for variac or powerstat.
There are all sorts of configurations. You need to compare the current/power
ratings of the sewing machine and select one of the smaller units.
I have a big variac but it is not up for sale as I can still find some use
for it.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 09:33:10 -0400, "Justin Time" wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Thank you

Hi,
Depends on motor design ie. number or amature poles, windings, etc.
If my wife wants something like that, I'd just experiment with electronic
rheostat until I hit the jack pot to her satisfaction.

That could get costly if I don't find the correct one soon enough.

Sewing machine motors are universal motors. A router speed control
will work perfectly - you really want one that current (and counter
EMF) senses and PWM controls the speed.
A simple rheostat type control will cause overshot on startup and
speed decrease under load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 21:49:51 -0400, "Charlie"
wrote:

"Justin Time" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

And unlike a rheostat, a Variac can be grossly oversized and still do
the job
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 08:44:12 -0400, Justin Time wrote:

want to remove the foot pedal and connect a dial speed controller,
preferably one with variable speeds,.........
BTW, if it helps, according to the label on the motor, it's a 110v, 150watt
and 1.3 amps.

Thank you

I have used these on several motors:
http://www.platt.com/product.aspx?zpid=393347
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Justin Time" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

One consideration, other than physical size and weight, is cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One consideration, other than physical size and weight, is cost.- Hide quoted text -

Try a heavy-duty light dimmer, they work quite well. Get one rated
for as much wattage as the max motor wattage, probably a 200W dimmer
would give you some margin for a 150 Watt motor.,
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Justin Time" wrote:

By chance, we had an extra dimmer from work

Yes, it's amazing how much "extra" stuff is just lying around at work.
Might as well take it home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The normal sewing machine speed control has a stack of carbon disks.
Control is effectedby squeezing them together. (reduces resistance.)

Electrical question Dick Keats Home Repair 6 February 19th 09 04:17 AM
Electrical Question Scott Home Repair 7 December 14th 07 02:05 AM
Electrical 12-3 question Stormin Mormon Home Repair 20 June 15th 06 04:06 AM
Electrical question cj squirms UK diy 5 September 15th 05 12:04 AM
Electrical question Sis Home Repair 4 March 6th 05 05:09 AM