Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Epoxy repair/filler for exterior wood.

On Aug 9, 7:04*pm, Home Guy wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
I got rotted spots, wood joints, etc, (Englich tudor- 5/4 type wood)
and would like to use a weather-proof filler-type epoxy, ideally with
some mechanical strength (which would proly exclude putties, etc)

PL Premium:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/img/p...a_prem_adv.png

It's a polyurethane based adhesive manufactured for the construction
industry.

Apparently Loctite claims it's their product, but I've also seen it
badged as "LePage".

I've used it on exterior wood (fence posts, etc) and it's the best
non-marine wood adhesive there is. *Because it comes in a caulking-gun
cartridge (both the small and large size) it will fill any voids you can
force it into.

It has the look and consistency of hot caramel or thick pudding. *It
LIKES to be applied to wet wood - it hardens because of the presence of
water. *(ie - a wet or damp surface, not soaking wet). *It will expand
as it cures - I think it forms small air cells or voids if it's used as
a void filler.

If possible, use clamps on what-ever you're filling so that it doesn't
force it open or distort it as it cures.

Word of warning: *Try not to get this on your skin. *I don't find it
irritating, but it's a bitch to get off. *I use lacquer thinner soaked
into a small rag or paper towel to clean it off my hands and anything
else that it gets on, and I do it immediately after I'm done working
with it. *Gasoline will also work as a cleaning solvent.

It will of course be painted.

I don't know about painting - I think I've painted over it with
oil-based paint in the past. *It sets in about 2 to 4 hours at room
temp, and it's practically fully cured after 24 hours - although if
applied as a large gap-filler (more than 1/4" thick) then the center
will take more time to cure. *

It can be sanded after it's cured, but you may not get a smooth surface
on account of the air bubbles that form inside it. *But that's solved by
applying a fresh (thin) coating of it to the exposed irregular surface
and give it another sanding when that cures.

I saw some stuff at Menards the other day, purely by accident. There
was a material to be applied to help dry out the wood, and then a
finishing sort of stuff. It was in the paint and glue and caulking
compund area of the store.