Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric[_15_] Eric[_15_] is offline

Default Question: US 220 vs Aussie 220, likely solution found...

Best of luck with your toroid **IRON CORE***. It won't be made from
plastic...LOL

They are the most efficient type of core and possibly even a ferrite
(powdered) iron construction for even more efficiency. I doubt that was a
concern but sounds good.

------------
"Jon Anderson" wrote in message

Ok, have finally found something workable, if not cheap.
There's a company that makes isolated step down transformers using
toroidal transformers. No iron core to get hot! Should have at least
thought of this myself, I'm using one in the power supply for my CNC mill.

These are not cheap, one sized to run my oven or spot welder cost over
$500. Lower power units cheaper of course. But something important
pointed out to me, these meet current Australian Standards which is a
very big deal for insurance should anything ever happen.
Have any significant electrical fire in the shop and insurance finds out
I was using a home brew step down setup, and I'm screwed.

So, probably going to just buck up and pay the piper, unless I learn
that a licensed electrician can build and self certify a similar setup.
I've run 14 years here with a shop I wired myself, with nary a problem.
But...

Thanks all for all the good advice and suggestions. I think I've settled
this issue for good.

Jon