Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Question: US 220 vs Aussie 220

On 8/10/2011 3:22 PM, David Lesher wrote:

Oh, an important exception or two. MANY power supplies for computers
and entertainment gadgets are "switchers". Laptop power supplies are
the most obvious.

I've found all modern wall warts (so far) are rated 110/220, 60Hz/50Hz
and auto switch. My mill DRO, computers, laptop PS, and a host of other
times, will just need plug adapters.

BTW, I took two computers back last time, an older HP for her folks, and
a fairly nice Dell I built up out of a yard sale score. The one for her
folks, I set to 220 here. But hers, I was installing software and
setting up the night before we left. Yup, forgot to switch the PS to 220.

Let me tell you, that's one HELL of a bang when a 110 PS gets socked
with 220! Needless to say, it died an instantaneous death. Luckily the
PS out of her old computer was a match, and the computer itself was fine.

Jon