Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Question: US 220 vs Aussie 220

On 8/10/2011 2:53 PM, David Lesher wrote:

There is one idea I have. Can you get a 120-0-120 generator, and
size the pulley ratio to spin it at whatever rpm [likely 1800
or 3600] to get 60 Hz out?

That was my first idea. Hang the generator on a frame and drive it with
a 50Hz electric motor, belted to give the correct RPM at the generator.
But this would mean any time I was going to use my stuff, I'd have to
fire up and run a large electric motor. Power is not cheap there and
going up rapidly.

I really think I'll be OK. My Bridgeport is rated 50/60Hz right on the
motor. Anything else I can hang a 3 phase motor on, I'll do so, along
with an inverter, or simply replace the motor there with a 50Hz.
All my hand power tools run brush motors, no problems other than
slightly lower RPM. The blade welder is 220, though our 220. But while I
seem to be getting slightly conflicting info here and there, it seems
unlikely that'll be a problem as the full load cycle is very short.
The oven shouldn't be an issue with a proper step down, and the hand
held spot welder, well, I haven't used it here in years and years,
starting to think I just might sell it.
I've finally found someone down under that knows a few real
electricians, she's going to see if any will field a few questions from
me. That should set things straight.

Thanks for the input!

Jon