Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 'nuther question, rewire 110v heat treat oven to 220? (or swap for a 220 oven)

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 20:46:12 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote:

Ok, one other item I really want to take down under is my Thermolyne
1400 oven. I've just spent 15 minutes on Google and cannot come up with
a direct contact to the manufacturer, only references to places that
sell them.

It's 110v, 12.5 amp, 1500 watts. Can this be rewired to 240?

Here, my options are a step down transformer, or trade it here for a 220
version. Mine is really clean, has temp gauge, temp control in the form
of a percent on dial, and an indicator light. I also have a relay and a
digital temp controller I've never gotten around to setting up for it.
Really would like to keep it as it's so clean, but willing to trade...

Don't haul equipment half-way around the world. Liquidate it here, and
take the cash with you and buy new or used in Oz. The money you'd save
on shipping should make up for any new-vs-used losses.

And for the kind of current demands you're looking for, a step-down
transformer would put a significant bite on your pocketbook.

Shipping a container of "personal effects" is *way* cheaper than trying
to repurchase what is industrial equipment in Oz.

Just make sure to balance it so they don't drop it off the crane...

The packaging didn't make it on last thing I got from Oz (well, the
only thing), so I loaded a cubic meter of Jarrah wood onto my truck
and trailer one board at a time. When I got to the staging warehouse,
I found a pile of boards looking like a pickup-stix puzzle on the
floor. None of the metal banding and most of the plywood cover were
gone.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach