Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Somewhat OT (I think) Electrical question

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 09:33:10 -0400, "Justin Time" wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Thank you

Hi,
Depends on motor design ie. number or amature poles, windings, etc.
If my wife wants something like that, I'd just experiment with electronic
rheostat until I hit the jack pot to her satisfaction.

That could get costly if I don't find the correct one soon enough.

Sewing machine motors are universal motors. A router speed control
will work perfectly - you really want one that current (and counter
EMF) senses and PWM controls the speed.
A simple rheostat type control will cause overshot on startup and
speed decrease under load.