Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie[_7_] Charlie[_7_] is offline

Default Somewhat OT (I think) Electrical question

"Justin Time" wrote in message
Though, this isn't specifically about "Home Repair" it is an item in the
home.

I made a project for the wife which required the use of a sewing machine
motor (but not the sewing machine) which has the speed control foot pedal.
I want to remove the foot pedal and connect a dial speed controller,
preferably one with variable speeds, as opposed to a 3-speed type. I tried
a ceiling fan speed control which does contain the 3 speeds of high,
medium and low, and it's not what I want. For starters, low is obviously
too low since the motor only hums, medium appears to be OK speed wise but
high is too fast. I want to provide the wife the option of variable
speeds. Therefore, the big question is, doesn't anyone know if and/or what
type of speed control I can connect with the motor?

BTW, if it helps, according to the label on the motor, it's a 110v,
150watt and 1.3 amps.

Thank you

Go to eBay and search for variac or powerstat.
There are all sorts of configurations. You need to compare the current/power
ratings of the sewing machine and select one of the smaller units.
I have a big variac but it is not up for sale as I can still find some use
for it.

Charlie