Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Somewhat OT (I think) Electrical question

Justin Time wrote:
Though, this isn't specifically about "Home Repair" it is an item in the
home.

I made a project for the wife which required the use of a sewing machine
motor (but not the sewing machine) which has the speed control foot pedal. I
want to remove the foot pedal and connect a dial speed controller,
preferably one with variable speeds, as opposed to a 3-speed type. I tried a
ceiling fan speed control which does contain the 3 speeds of high, medium
and low, and it's not what I want. For starters, low is obviously too low
since the motor only hums, medium appears to be OK speed wise but high is
too fast. I want to provide the wife the option of variable speeds.
Therefore, the big question is, doesn't anyone know if and/or what type of
speed control I can connect with the motor?

BTW, if it helps, according to the label on the motor, it's a 110v, 150watt
and 1.3 amps.

Thank you

Hi,
Depends on motor design ie. number or amature poles, windings, etc.
If my wife wants something like that, I'd just experiment with
electronic rheostat until I hit the jack pot to her satisfaction.