Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Josepi[_19_] Josepi[_19_] is offline

Default Question: US 220 vs Aussie 220

50 Hz transformers require double the lamination weight than 60Hz does for
the same VA capacity.

60 Hz typically requires a finer (thinner) lamination to decrease the Eddy
current losses and heating incurred in the lamination core.

North America (Don't know about Mexico) never had 220v. It was and always
will be 240 Volts. 110, 115, 117, 220, 230, 550, and 575 volts are all
somebody's guess, usually from another continent.

----------------------

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message

Bought a DoAll blade welder from Gunner last year, and finally getting
around to restoring it. Wrote DoAll asking about parts and an electrical
question, got a reply back in less than an hour! Learned it was made in
1958, almost as old as I am, and some parts are still available! (wish
some parts were still available for me, could use a better back and a
pair of OEM spec eyeballs...G)

He had no answer on the electrical question though. I'd asked someone,
somewhere, about just using one leg of the 220 for 110, like we do here,
to run tools with brush motors. He informed me that their 220 IS 220,
each leg, where ours is combined from two legs of 110. A step down
transformer will take care of that issue, I've already left a decent
sized one with my wife. But for the welder...

So dumb question for the electron challenged, can I just hook this up to
their 220 and run it, or will that smoke it?
If the latter, what are my options?

This might also sorta apply to my Grainger hand held spot welder. It's
110, but a 220 version was available and I was going to look into
whether or not I could rewire it for 220.
Maybe better off on that one, getting a really good size step down?

Seeing as I'm going to be an hour drive from anywhere that I could buy
blades, I'm really wanting to take this with me! Might even be able to
make a little side money welding blades for other folks.

Jon