Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Epoxy repair/filler for exterior wood.

On 8/9/2011 3:46 PM, EXT wrote:

"Baron" wrote in message
om...
"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --
I got rotted spots, wood joints, etc, (Englich tudor- 5/4 type wood)
and would like to use a weather-proof filler-type epoxy, ideally with
some mechanical strength (which would proly exclude putties, etc),
but I'll take what I can get, so as not to have to replace whole
boards, etc. It will of course be painted.

I'm going to need at least a few cubic inches of this material. Is
there a generic name for this stuff?

Any suggestions? Hopefully I can get it locally, a HD or sumpn, but
internet is OK.

Is there a kind of hierarchy of exterior fillers, putties, epoxies,
structural epoxies, ito strength?
--
EA

Abatron makes architectural a wood rot some of which is intended for
outdoor use. A bit on the expensive side but it works very well. Rot
Doctor is another brand but Abatron seems to be the more recommended
brand.

Short of that, I have used epoxy thinned with acetone to soak into a
rotted spot with good results although I have not used it for outdoor
problems.

The biggest trick outdoors is to get the rotten wood totally dry and to
keep it dry at least until the epoxy material is hardened.

I agree and think epoxy is over kill. You can probably use something
much cheaper akin to auto-body filler which is polyester.