Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Epoxy repair/filler for exterior wood.

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 15:01:49 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

Awl --

I got rotted spots, wood joints, etc, (Englich tudor- 5/4 type wood) and
would like to use a weather-proof filler-type epoxy, ideally with some
mechanical strength (which would proly exclude putties, etc), but I'll take
what I can get, so as not to have to replace whole boards, etc. It will of
course be painted.

I'm going to need at least a few cubic inches of this material. Is there a
generic name for this stuff?

Any suggestions? Hopefully I can get it locally, a HD or sumpn, but
internet is OK.

Is there a kind of hierarchy of exterior fillers, putties, epoxies,
structural epoxies, ito strength?

From what I've seen-- and I haven't see it all, I'm sure;
fillers, fill[but don't bond well]; putties stay softish; epoxies bind
to the wood and get rock hard.

Structural epoxies? Haven't heard the term.

Someone will recommend a popular auto body filler. That company
makes a wood filler. The advantage is that the wood filler isn't a
sponge that rots out all the surrounding wood.

I like Rot Doctor. it is damned expensive. But it works. You only
need to do the job once on a lifetime.
http://www.rotdoctor.com/

I've used it on a 50 yr old wooden boat and on a 30 year old garage
door. Worked great in both places.

Jim