Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default 'nuther question, rewire 110v heat treat oven to 220? (or swapfora 220 oven)

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 07:58:07 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote:

On 8/8/2011 6:17 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:

The elements are over $100 each for the 1500.

ooh... looks like I'm shopping for a step down transformer...

Thanks,

Jon

Or work out how much wire, such as Kanthal A1, you need and wind your
own, it's quite easy to do.

Unfortunately the elements are cast in refractory slabs that comprise
the walls of the muffle, which complicates the matter. I had
considered making my own when I needed replacements, but I was able to
find a complete set on ebay. I was able to get some info on suitable
castable refractories for the elements, though I'm not sure I could
find it now.

Yes I noticed the elements were cast into the sides after I posted. I've
done that once and used Greencast 94 as I had it and it had a suitably
low Iron content which I understand is important. I expect the likes of
Harbison Walker, who own AP Green, and are now part of someone else
would have something or Thermal Ceramics. I find Thermal Ceramics in the
UK very useful regarding information and suggesting suitable products
for an application. Fairly easy to get their products also. I would
expect though that by the time you've done the shuttering and all the
other bits involved you'd be better off shopping round and buying the
ready made replacement.

In this case if the Oz regs are like those in the UK then 230V to 110V
transformers used on building sites will be readily available and the
easiest and maybe cheapest option.