Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On 8/8/2011 1:43 PM, Max wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote

While an RAS, perfectly aligned, is a wonderful tool, bump it in the
wrong place and you have to go through the whole process again. I just
don't get the same repeatability out of the RAS that I do out of a
crosscut sled on the table saw.

Yabbut....squaring the end of a ten foot 1 X 12? ;-)

Max

Given the way most RAS's are set up, squaring that board might be a bit
more diffident once you actually try that. IIRC the blade is
approximately 30 inches from the end of the table so you have about 7
1/2 feet of board hanging off of the table. Clamping is not really
going to be effective but having some one else or something to support
the board would be needed. You have a 2.5 to 1 leverage ratio working
against you. Not saying that you cannot do it, it is just not as
straight forward as making a cut when the wood is not going to be
working against you.

That is not going to be as big of a problem problem on a 50" capacity TS
with a closer 1/1 leverage ratio. I squared 7, 8' 1x8 today with a
miter gauge and did not give it a second thought.

Now if your RAS has a long table on one or both both sides you have over
come one of the unique problems.