Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Question: US 220 vs Aussie 220

On 8/8/2011 4:12 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Issue since OZ power is 50 Hz. For a short duty cycle item like a
blade welder you will *probably* be ok. If it was a continuous duty
item you may have a problem. Obviously motor based items will run at
a different speed on 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz.

I only have a couple induction motor items, like my Baldor carbide
grinder. I rarely ever run it more than a minute or two, so foresee no
problem there. If it ever does die from overheating, I'll hack-n-whack
the motor and case to allow belt drive from an external 50Hz motor.
My bench grinder, I'll use until it dies, then replace w/local flavor.

You're getting the definitive answer. 220V is 220V whether in AU or
US, the issue you will face is the frequency difference of 50 Hz vs.
60 Hz. Many items will be rated 50/60 Hz and thus have no issue,
while others may have issues. Transformers for 60 Hz are different
from those for 50 Hz and as others have noted, might saturate and
overheat in continuous use on 50 Hz. For short duty cycle items like
a blade welder they will probably do ok, for continuous / extended
duty cycle items like an arc welder there could be issues if the
welder doesn't have a 50/60 rating.

Ok, thank you. I'm loosely aware of the 50/60Hz issue in terms of
heating, but my gut feeling was that for the second it takes to actually
weld a blade, I wouldn't have trouble. But when Magic Smoke is involved,
I don't like to assume. I doubt I'd ever be production-line welding
blades, but will take care to make sure it doesn't overheat.

The equipment manufacturer is the only one that can tell you with any
certainty if their 60 Hz rated product can operate without issues on
50 Hz power.

Actually they couldn't, which is why I came here. I'll have to pay
attention to the blade grinder, might have to retrofit a 50Hz motor
there, or simply grind blades with something else.

Jon