Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Question: US 220 vs Aussie 220

Jon Anderson wrote:

Ok, thought I'd spelled it out, but didn't. Here's the blade welder specs:

220 volts

No issue.

20 amp

No issue.

60 Hz

Issue since OZ power is 50 Hz. For a short duty cycle item like a blade
welder you will *probably* be ok. If it was a continuous duty item you
may have a problem. Obviously motor based items will run at a different
speed on 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz.

1 phase

No issue.

Instantaneous KVA 4
Continuous KVA 5 or .5, the potential decimal point being high enough
it's not clearly a decimal point. But if instantaneous means inrush,
then maybe .5 KVA continuous makes sense.

Yes, .5 continuous would make sense for the annealing cycle.

Sounds like I'd best find a local electrician that can give me a
definitive answer.

You're getting the definitive answer. 220V is 220V whether in AU or US,
the issue you will face is the frequency difference of 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz.
Many items will be rated 50/60 Hz and thus have no issue, while others
may have issues.
Transformers for 60 Hz are different from those for 50 Hz and as others
have noted, might saturate and overheat in continuous use on 50 Hz. For
short duty cycle items like a blade welder they will probably do ok, for
continuous / extended duty cycle items like an arc welder there could be
issues if the welder doesn't have a 50/60 rating.

A local electrician won't be in any better position to give you accurate
information that RCM can. The equipment manufacturer is the only one
that can tell you with any certainty if their 60 Hz rated product can
operate without issues on 50 Hz power.

Or weld up a life time supply of blades before I go...G

You could do that as well.