Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On 8/8/2011 2:25 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

On 8/8/2011 9:38 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

While an RAS, perfectly aligned, is a wonderful tool, bump it in the
wrong place and you have to go through the whole process again. I just
don't get the same repeatability out of the RAS that I do out of a
crosscut sled on the table saw.

If a simple bump can do that, it's the POS in "POS RAS" that's the
problem, not that it was a RAS...

It's inherent in the design. Bump the end of the arm from the side and
something's going to give. It's called "leverage".

It'd take a hell of a bump to move the arm on my RAS16; you'll regret
you hit it and learn not to do that again if you were to do so...

In the roughly 35 years I've not had it be an issue _ever_ so my
conclusion is either there's something wrong in a shop that one would
get hit so hard and often or it's simply too flimsy if a casual bump can
knock it out of line.

I've seem the small DeWalts (Dad had one for 'round the farm) and I've
also seen several various Craftsmans of similar lightweight
construction; them I'll grant aren't much of a tool as far as sturdiness
goes altho I used the one Dad had for the kitchen cabinets rather than
drag mine from VA to KS and it was serviceable. I'd label it in the POS
class, though, simply because it was so lightweight. It was also
seriously under-powered for anything other than softwoods or at most
4-quarter hardwoods

Not so w/ the 16RAS; it weighs nearly 400 lb; I doubt the DeWalt weighed
100.