Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On 8/8/2011 8:30 AM, Leon wrote:

Well that is certainly true but once you start to expect more precision
from your equipment your projects reflect that. Keep in mind that I
have seriousely been building furniture since the late 70's, have owned
both the RAS and TS and find that set up and accuracy to be simpler and
better on a cabinet saw. If your are satisfied with the results you get
from your RAS that is great. I eventually out grew the limitations of
my RAS, both in ripping and in cross cutting and added a TS for the
first time in 1983. I never used my RAS again and sold it a few years
later.

When I first owned a RAS there was no such thing as a SCMS. I used the
RAS to build 3 recording studios. The last studio I built in the early
nineties, the RAS, although setup onsite as usual, hardly got used as I
had a miter saw by then, and the RAS had become what I considered a
liability issue ... had a couple of guys helping me that I was sure
would eventually kill themselves with the damn thing.

I certainly haven't missed owning one. That's not to say that if I had
beaucoup room and an unlimited tool budget I wouldn't have another one,
along with a couple of more table saws, for dedicated use. First things,
first.

In my dreams ....

--
www.e-woodshop.net