Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On 8/7/2011 11:10 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/7/2011 10:06 PM, Max wrote:

You have mentioned the real deal killer for a RAS. Alignment. There are
so many things that have to be just right for a reasonable amount of
accuracy. It takes way too long to get it "just right".

I've never had such issues; then again, I have one of the old large
(16") Rockwell-Delta's not the little home-store Sears/DeWalt/etc.

--

Typically every new RAS right out of the box has the alignment issue.
You have to assemble at least the table and that has to be done

Now, if you have an industrial sized saw in good condition the
adjustments are probably greatly reduced as would be expected but
because of the inherent characteristics of the RAS the more commonly
found ones are more trouble.

I believe that the biggest issue with all RAS's regardless of size is
the wood table which moves and changes shape.

Consider also that if you most often cut a like sized material on the
16" RAS's as you do with a 10" RAS. If you mostly cut 3/4" material
with a 10" RAS the equivalent on a 16" RAS would probably be 1-1/4"",
assuming the capacity on a 10" saw is 3" and the capacity on a 16" is
5". When always using equivalent thickness materials I am sure the
alignment and operation issues become more equal. The typical 10 RAS
would probably perform much better and more smoothly if it normally cut
material less the 1/2" thick.

Now I am not saying that I would never use a RAS again but I would
absolutely trust the results from my cabinet saw over any RAS whether it
be cross cutting or ripping with few exceptions such as squaring the end
of a long board or cutting dados across long boards.

This is my view after having both machines and build lots of furniture
with both. I still view the TS a more safe to operate machine over the
RAS even though I have never been injured with a RAS but have been with
a TS.