Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Circular saw recommendations?

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 8/7/2011 8:09 PM, Max wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

Well you may have answered your own question there Doug. While most
every one will agree that the RAS is not comforting to use in the rip
application, it is indeed built and intended to be used to rip
material. So that is probably why most every one would prefer to never
use one.

FWIW I owned one for about 5 years and build a lot of furniture that I
still own today and did quite a bit of ripping with it. For me I had
more problems with it while crosscutting, probably because I did
mostly cross cutting but I never got used to cutting into a narley SYP
knot and the blade and motor trying to climb up over the board rather
than cut through the knot, for what ever reason. ;~)

Three years after buying it I added a contractors saw to my shop and
literally never used the RAS again.

I've never had a problem with a RAS (I've never tried ripping) but my
son cross cut a piece of Oak and it climbed on him, broke a tooth off
the blade, misaligned the saw and he hasn't used it since.
Contrariwise, I've had a couple pieces of wood slung at me from a table
saw. Go figger. G

Max

I think the biggest problem with a RAS is that they can get knocked out of
alignment pretty easily and there are numerous adjustments to zero in on.
The table has to be parallel to the same plane that the carriage rides on,
the blade has to lock in parallel or 90 degrees to the path of the
carriage. The arm has to lock in at 90 degrees to the fence to make a 90
degree cut and the fence is not always straight, once cut it can warp or
twist. It is imperative that you have flat straight stock when cross
cutting or you are going to have at least a little problem.
If you ever do rip with your RAS "remember" that you feed against the
rotation of the blade. While this sounds like common sense you can rip
from either side of the table. Typically for narrow stock you are on the
right side of the table with the motor pointing away from the arm column.
For wider rip capacity you can rip from the left side of the table but be
sure to rotate the motor so that it points towards the column arm. Keep
in mind that in this situation the stock needs to be wide so that you can
have room to push the stock through with out having the motor interfere.
Get any of those positions or steps backwards and you end up with a board
launcher.

You have mentioned the real deal killer for a RAS. Alignment. There are so
many things that have to be just right for a reasonable amount of accuracy.
It takes way too long to get it "just right".

Max