Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 15:32:45 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 8/6/11 2:26 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Thnaks. I ordered the "kit" for my saw (113.19771). It implies that the
"kit" contains a guard and table. The site said it would take 8-10 weeks to
get here. Since it was some time before 1993 (we moved that year and I never
put it back together) when I last used it, I think I can wait. ;-)

They said "8-10 weeks" when I ordered mine and it showed up 3 days later.
Two very big, heavy boxes.

Then I'll have to find a place to store 'em.

The issue I have is on the other side of the blade. With a TS my hands are
never on the back side when power is on. I suppose one can do the same with a
RAS, but it's awkward. OTOH, I never stood in the line of fire when using the
RAS. With a TS it's a little more difficult to stand completely aside.

I actually came up with a good idea for a brake on the sliding arm that
would always be engaged and only disengage when the squeeze handle was
pulled. There would be a ratcheting system that would not allow the
blade assembly to move unless the trigger was pulled.

The other danger is the blade powering the carriage towards the operator. It
seems that sort of thing could take care of that, too. With modern
electronics such a thing would be trivial but I think the days of the RAS are
over. I certainly wouldn't buy one now.