Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 08:10:42 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 8/4/2011 11:09 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 21:57:57 -0500, wrote:

On 8/4/2011 9:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
My old faithful corded circular saw finally bit the dust yesterday. Something
went Pop! and it stopped running. Disassembly today shows half a dozen
segments missing from the commutator; the critical parts are no longer
available (after 15+ years, that's no surprise), so it's time to buy a new
one.

My uses are, I think, pretty typical: framing, building decks, cutting sheet
goods to manageable size.

I'm also looking for recommendations of specific brands and/or models both to
seek out, and to avoid. I intend to avoid tools made in China if at all
possible.

TIA... Thanks may also be expressed tangibly, in the form of a cold homebrew
or three, next time you pass through Indianapolis.

I own four.

~ A cordless DeWalt, which has it narrow uses, but narrow is the
operative word and not a "go to" tool.

Agreed. I have the DeWalt, which is a useful tool but it's not an only
circular saw by any means. I also have an older Makita cordless that's good
for cedar clapboards, but that's about it.

~ A Makita 5007NB which is one of the best circular saws I've ever
owned, and the one I'd carry with me to most jobs if I could only take
one, and for your above purposes. Light, easy to wield, and has enough
power for all the above.

I like my Bosch CS10, too. Nice saw.

~ An older Skil77 worm drive, which, although I love it, is just too
much saw too be carrying around unless you're a framer on the joist crew.

I'd rather carry a SCMS around. ;-)

~ and of course, the Festool TS75, which is a damn fine cabinet circular
saw, but not practical in price or function for most of your needs above.

I have a TS55. While I like it for paneling and plywood, it certainly doesn't
have much power. It'll bog down on 3/4" hardwood ply, even. I tried to cut a
2x with it (it was out and my other saws weren't). One cut was fine but I
wouldn't want to have to do too many. Is it normal for a Festool to be so
under-powered?

Welllll there is the larger and more powerful TS75 and I have that one.

I bought it to cut sheets down to size. I'm not a pro and don't do multiple
sheets at a time, so didn't think I needed the TS75.

The TS 55 is a smaller saw for smaller demands. IIRC Swingman and I
were using either his or my TS75 for cutting 2 stacked 3/4" thick sheets
of plywood at the same time with no indication that the saw was being
stressed or bogged down.
Is your saw actually working correctly? IIRC both saws have the
electronic VS that is suppose to give it more juice when necessary. AND
are you using it with an extension cord that is not up to the task?

AFAIC, the electronics VS is useless. It doesn't have enough power to use it
other than flat-out. Don't get me wrong, I love the way it cuts, I just
expected a lot more power from an expensive tool.

You mention hard wood plywood, are you talking about something like 3/4"
thick Baltic birch? I would think that a common 3/4" plywood should not
be problem with the TS 55. Give the Festool guys a call and tell them
what you are experiencing.

Nothing fancy, 3/4" (23/32") Oak/Birch veneer ply; Lowes style. It cuts it,
but not like I expect. I don't expect the RPM to vary at all.

Concerning 2x material I am not even comfortable with cutting with my
TS75 with out using the track. Something about the plunge mechanism
with the saw sitting on a 2x4 does not seem natural to me yet. ;~)

I understand. ;-) I had a scrap to cut and just didn't want to get out the
other saw. It barely made it through the 2x.