Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On 8/5/2011 10:17 AM, willshak wrote:
Doug Miller wrote the following:
My old faithful corded circular saw finally bit the dust yesterday.
Something went Pop! and it stopped running. Disassembly today shows
half a dozen segments missing from the commutator; the critical parts
are no longer available (after 15+ years, that's no surprise), so it's
time to buy a new one.
My uses are, I think, pretty typical: framing, building decks, cutting
sheet goods to manageable size.

I'm looking for something that will last a good long time. The one
that died is only the second one I've ever owned; the first one lasted
nearly 20 years, and I'm hoping for similar durability. The budget is
large enough to include Bosch, Makita, or Milwaukee, but not Festool.

I'm looking for general recommendations in two areas:
a) corded vs. cordless -- my experiences with cordless circular saws
have not been positive, but they've been cheap saws, and I'm willing
to be persuaded that cordless circular saws that won't drain a battery
in five seconds do actually exist; and
b) left blade vs. right blade. Every circular saw that I've ever used
has had the blade on the right. Advertising for left-blade saws
includes phrases like "gives users the clearest line of sight for
easy, accurate cutting" but I just don't see how it's really any
different. I'm inclined to get a right-blade saw simply because that's
what I'm used to, but if there truly are advantages to having the
blade on the left, I'd be much obliged if someone would explain them
to me. In case it makes a difference to the recommendation, I'm
right-handed.

I have never had a left hand bladed C saw. First, I didn't know they
existed before some comments made in this, or some other home or
construction group.
I do have a very old Skilsaw wormdrive saw that belonged to my FiL, now
deceased. The saw has been languishing in a dark corner of my garage for
a decade.
It has some missing parts related to safety and I never used it or even
turned it on, besides, it is a monster and heavy. Looking at it just
now, I see it is left bladed.
I too am right handed, and I can see some benefit to having a saw with a
left handed blade, especially the "gives users the clearest line of
sight for easy, accurate cutting" part. Another I would think would be a
safety issue.
Holding a piece of wood steady, whether fenced or unfenced with the left
hand, then cutting on the other side of the right hand bladed saw
requires that your head is also on the right side of the saw to aim the
cut leaving the left hand in your peripheral vision and could be in the
way of the motor side as it saws. I like the idea that the holding,
aiming, and cutting, is on the same side of the saw. I guess left handed
people already are doing this with the right handed blade saws.
Why are most, if not all, radial arm saws left bladed?
Just my opinion, YMMV.

It "sounds" logical and like a good idea, it is not. Most all power
tools come with some kind of warning to not bend over or align you eyes
directly with the cutting edge of the blade. bit, what ever. The
"common" circular saw is not a precision tool. Although skilled and
long time users can do wonders with circular saw it is a developed
skill. The intent by the manufacturer is for you use the alignment mark
at the front of the shoe to line up your saw and then start the saw and
make the cut with your head and eyes on the opposite side of the blade.
Yes your cut is probably not going to be square or a straight line.
This is a free hand tool and practice makes perfect.

The RAS is a different set up altogether. While a circular saw's blade
rotation directs the debris back behind the saw, in your direction, the
RAS directs the debris away from the operator. Same with miter saws.
That said when ripping with a RAS the debris comes back at the operator
however the guard should be rotated down on the back side of the blade
to divert the debris, and prevent kickback providing you are using the
splitter and anti kick back pawls.

.

I'm also looking for recommendations of specific brands and/or models
both to seek out, and to avoid. I intend to avoid tools made in China
if at all possible.

TIA... Thanks may also be expressed tangibly, in the form of a cold
homebrew or three, next time you pass through Indianapolis.