Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default AC in shop (was A Prognostication)

On 8/4/2011 5:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

My shop is my garage, which is in the basement of a split level.
It gets "air conditioned" indirectly just from being mostly insulated
and going in and out of the door between the house and garage.

Same.

I have to be very careful not to open the garage (car) door when it gets
as hot and humid as it's been this summer.

I don't often open the garage door, but never worry about it.

Last time, I got surface rust on every exposed metal surface.

By "exposed surface" do you mean not treated with whatever you use as a
surface lube/protector? I never get rust period, open door, closed
door, summer or winter.

When my shop was in standing water half the summer, I got rust like
crazy until I discovered 3M Dry lubricant. Can't get that anymore so
use Topcote, which seems to be the same stuff, or very close. Prior to
that, I even melted wax in lacquer thinner and painted it on my big
iron. That was no where near as good, or as easy, or as neat, as the dry
lube.

If I recall you use Boeshield on exposed surfaces. I never used it but
from the last discussion, I was left with the impression it was an
excellent rust protector? Don't you use it on all your big iron?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com