Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default AC in shop (was A Prognostication)

On 8/4/2011 7:40 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 17:29:58 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 8/4/2011 4:01 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 04 Aug 2011 17:29:02 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in news:V-
:

On 8/4/2011 8:49 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

They are choices made with eyes wide open, C-Less. I'm quite capable
of installing air conditioning in any building myself, except ...

I do NOT like air conditioning in a wood shop. It causes more
problems
than it solves.

What kinds of problems?

Biggest problem is rust. Open a door and let in hot moist air into an
air conditioned shop, where the metal surfaces are 20 degrees cooler,
and bingo ... a red patina of rust on everything within hours.

I simply do not have rust problems in this hot, humid climate by
constantly keeping the interior shop and at the same temperature and RH
as outside.

I see. Is that opening the door to pass through, or leaving it open to
move something in/out?

As far as rust goes, you're in kinda a harsh environment aren't you?

Isn't Boeshield the answer? If not, I'd want a cool suit of some sort
to handle working in that ungodly weather.

Bowshield is a good lubricant down here but a PIA as a protectant
against rust if you want to actually spend more time cutting than wiping
the stuff off every day.

Wiping the stuff off every day?

Yes every day, I had to apply every day and it had to go on heavy. It
remained sticky and If I wiped it down it wan non effective. It was the
only thing I used at first for my brand new TS 12 years ago. It went on
immediately after removing the protective coating from the table top. I
had rust the next morning. It only worked for me if I put down a lot.
I went back to what I had been using the previous 7-8 years, a version
of what is now known as TopCote. It has to go on heavy initially also
but does not have to be wiped off although it is more slippery initially
if you do wipe off the haze. TopCote was originally made by another
company and was sold as a top lubricant to make boards slide easier. I
found as a side benefit that over time I no longer had to deal with
rust. IIRC TopCote now is marketed more as a rust preventative than a
lubricant.