Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 21:57:57 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 8/4/2011 9:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
My old faithful corded circular saw finally bit the dust yesterday. Something
went Pop! and it stopped running. Disassembly today shows half a dozen
segments missing from the commutator; the critical parts are no longer
available (after 15+ years, that's no surprise), so it's time to buy a new
one.

My uses are, I think, pretty typical: framing, building decks, cutting sheet
goods to manageable size.

I'm also looking for recommendations of specific brands and/or models both to
seek out, and to avoid. I intend to avoid tools made in China if at all
possible.

TIA... Thanks may also be expressed tangibly, in the form of a cold homebrew
or three, next time you pass through Indianapolis.

I own four.

~ A cordless DeWalt, which has it narrow uses, but narrow is the
operative word and not a "go to" tool.

Agreed. I have the DeWalt, which is a useful tool but it's not an only
circular saw by any means. I also have an older Makita cordless that's good
for cedar clapboards, but that's about it.

~ A Makita 5007NB which is one of the best circular saws I've ever
owned, and the one I'd carry with me to most jobs if I could only take
one, and for your above purposes. Light, easy to wield, and has enough
power for all the above.

I like my Bosch CS10, too. Nice saw.

~ An older Skil77 worm drive, which, although I love it, is just too
much saw too be carrying around unless you're a framer on the joist crew.

I'd rather carry a SCMS around. ;-)

~ and of course, the Festool TS75, which is a damn fine cabinet circular
saw, but not practical in price or function for most of your needs above.

I have a TS55. While I like it for paneling and plywood, it certainly doesn't
have much power. It'll bog down on 3/4" hardwood ply, even. I tried to cut a
2x with it (it was out and my other saws weren't). One cut was fine but I
wouldn't want to have to do too many. Is it normal for a Festool to be so
under-powered?

FWIW, I'd still buy the Makita again if I lost it.

Same with my Bosch.

You're sure to get lots of advice on this one ...

One thing I made sure of is the cast shoe. I had a stamped one on my previous
saw. Any little bump would whack it out of alignment.