Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Prognostication

Swingman wrote:

Yep ... I've told the story here before of riding my buckskin mare to
school of a morning, carrying my shotgun and shell vest to leave with
the shop teacher, so I could go dove hunting on the way home.

Well, I'm a little younger than Swing - we had gasoline engines and school
buses when I went to school...

That said - I remember taking my shotgun on the bus, sticking it in my
locker in the hall, and taking the bus (another bus) home with my friend to
go shoot rabbits and squirrels. No note from home, no security issues -
just a couple of country kids going hunting.

Lord have mercy, can you imagine doing that now?!?

Hell no! It's a gun - there must be danger involved! Quick - get the
soccer moms...

We were indeed fortunate to live in those times, Doug. I just wished
my kids could have had the same experience.

Mine didn't either, but they at least grew up to know about it and to
realize the difference between dangerous people and normal people - and that
said difference was not define by the presence of a gun. They also know how
to shoot...

--

-Mike-