Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default A Prognostication

On 7/31/2011 1:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/31/2011 12:57 PM, Han wrote:

You're giving me more reasons not to go to Houston. And I had been
believing that Texas was God's country {actually, a friend from long ago
thought of NH as that).
/tongue thing

Han, you come to Houston, you stay with friends, you need nothing else (except
a pair of shorts and a tee shirt).

LOL ... A good part of Texas is still just that. But it too has changed.
Running an O&G lease brokerage and exploration company in the 70's and 80's,
and therefore being heavily involved in land, land titles, and buying leases
from farmers and ranchers, there were still plenty of landowners living,
farming and ranching on the land for three or more generations ... now most of
those folks are gone and absentee and corporate ownership has supplanted that
way of life. An age based perspective on the way things have changed leaves
much of it unrecognizable ... Austin is a prime example, might as well be in
Lalafornia (Sorry, Steve ... ).

Won't argue with that. I like living *close* to Austin (in Pflugerville, a
suburb about 20 miles north) because it's prosperous, has lots of resources but
is not too big (I hate BIG towns like Houston and Dallas), the standard of
living is good, unemployment is low, and my own employer (IBM) seems to want to
keep me. But I'm a country boy at heart, and I don't *go* to Austin unless I
have a damn good reason. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/