Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor question

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 11:55:08 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Gunner wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 22:02:50 -0700, "Steve
The white stuff is water mixed with a tiny tiny bit of oil with a bunch
of air mixed in with it. Its common with EVERY air compressor. Period.

The water of course is from condensing air and thats why any good tech
puts an automatic drain system on every air tank in use. Remote tanks,
local tanks, etc etc. Unless one has a decent "dryer" pre tank...IE...a
dryer hooked up between the output of the compressor head the storage
tank.

Gunner

If you don't want to grovel in the presence of your machines you can connect
a hose to the bottom fitting and raise the drain valve to a more dignified
location.

I replaced the drain valve with an elbow and a
short length of hose.

Occasionally, I press the button on the attached
blowoff nozzle to drain the tank. Cheap and fast.

Clears the driveway of cats.

What's not to like?

--Winston

That works.

You just have to remember to do it.

I worked on a compressor in a BIG machine shop about 6 months ago.
25hp piston compressor with a 200 gallon tank.

That had at least 100 gallons of water in it.

I literally covered the back parking lot when I drained the tank. When
I showed this to the supervisor....he pondered a few minutes..then said
that was Ramons job....then pondered a bit more..and remarked that they
has laid Ramon off 6 months ago.....

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.