Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Compressor question

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Husky upright, not the great big one, but the one about chest
high. Two cyl compressor. I bled the tank today, and got water and a white
milky oily fluid. Checked the dipstick, and it is low. I'll get some
Husky oil today and fill. Do you think I damaged the compressor? Is the
white oil in the tank normal?

TIA

Steve

Chapter two: I went to the borg and bought a pint or so of compressor oil
for $250 US. Came home and found out that my compressor crankcase had just
as much oil in it as it needed. It was not black, but not clear or white as
I expected from the white oily stuff that came out of the bottom of the
bleeder. I didn't open the bottle at all, so am not sure what color the new
oil is. BUT, now I am curious as to what the white oil was in the tank with
the water? Anti rust stuff? The compressor works fine, pressures up fast.

So, back to trying to identify the white oily liquid. The compressor is
just as it should be oil wise in the crankcase.

One last question: When checking oil, is it proper to stick the stick the
3/4" or so down into the casting, or check the level by just putting it in
until the stick hits the casting? The bottom of the dipstick has a bell
shaped plastic area. You then have to push it into the casting to get it
all the way in. I know in cars and lots of machinery,you stick the oil
stick in all the way, but have wondered about those others with screw in
dipsticks, or these push in types. Which way is correct?

Steve

--

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com