Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Compressor question

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Husky upright, not the great big one, but the one about chest
high. Two cyl compressor. I bled the tank today, and got water and a white
milky oily fluid. Checked the dipstick, and it is low. I'll get some
Husky oil today and fill. Do you think I damaged the compressor? Is the
white oil in the tank normal?

Yes it is normal, and no you probably didn't hurt the compressor unless the
oil level had dropped below the oil slinger on the bottom of the connecting
rod cap.

Also, there's nothing special about compressor oil--the overwhelming
majority will be perfectly happy with straight 30 wt non-detergent just like
is used in lawnmowers etc, just don't use the wrong weight ( or a multi
viscosity oil ) because the oil distribution system is based upon known oil
properties as well as crankshaft speed.

That white liquid is condensate mixed with a small amount of oil, the amount
generated will depend on total compressor run time and outside humidity.

Actual oil consumption is dependant solely upon run time ( discounting worn
out piston rings ).....What this means is you might go several months
without having to add oil as long as usage is light....

--but if all a sudden you spend an entire day constantly using an air die
grinder or some such then you can almost bet that the oil needs topped off.

By the way, if it has a cast iron pump unit then it is most likely the same
one that's used on compressors offered by a very large number of different
"manufacturers"

http://tinyurl.com/3ekbmkr