Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Lifestyle of rich and famous machine tool dealers

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 22:01:39 -0500, Ignoramus13162
wrote:

I could sell more of same $30.00-$1,000 stuff, just more of it, or with
more expensive things, like smaller size CNC machines. Things that I
could move with a flatbed trailer and a forklift. A little cleaning,
minor fixes and a quick flip.

I have never been into asking for too much money, just enough for a
quick sale.

The question that I have is, do you know anyone who does that sort of
thing and makes a decent living. How does it work in "cold, hard
reality".

I don't know any machine dealers personally, but I can tell you that
there used to be a few of them in our small town phone book 25 years
ago. Now there are none. It must not be an easy way to make a
living.

Right now you're doing ok because you're in an industrial area and
have lots of inexpensive product to choose from. You'll do OK for
awhile, but eventually the majority of good deals for those attending
auctions and factory closings will end.

On top of that, the bar to entering the business isn't very high. If
the economy turns around there will be competition from other small
dealers for the machinery, and your profit margins won't be as good.

I'm glad you're around to help those of us hobbyists, but don't quit
your day job.

RWL