Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Benny Fishhole[_2_] Benny Fishhole[_2_] is offline

Default How to cut woven fiberglass sheathing?

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 10:24:30 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Jul 27, 12:00*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:39:53 -0400, Usual suspect

wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:45:04 -0500, DougC
wrote:

I got the heaters for my roller project from McMaster-Carr.

Also I picked up a bit of woven fiberglass (neat-resistant) sleeving.

The reason for the sleeving is that the heating rods may need to be
supported along the length, and I didn't know if the nichrome was
surface-conductive or not.

What is the best way to cut the fiberglass sheathing to keep it from
unraveling? I tried sticking it into the flame on the gas kitchen stove
and it burns down a bit that way.... I have an oxy-acetylene torch
around (which of course will do it) but wondered if anyone who worked
with it a lot knows of a better method.

Are you familiar with Sauereisen cements? I have used it to mount
heating elements in devices.

www.sauereisen.com/product_index/76.pdf

I may...may have some quantities of such cements. I closed down a
sintered metals factory a couple years ago, and wound up basiclly
clearing everything out and tossing 90% of it. I did snag some cans of
such cements.

If anyone is interested, Ill dig em out ..assuming Ive not tossed them
in the past month or so while cleaning out Stuff..and will be happy to
ship them to you simply for the shipping costs

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.- Hide quoted text -

Did you follow proper hazmat procedures or did you just bury the waste
in your backyard in Taft, Ca?

TMT

Hey assclown, do you have anything to contribute that is on-topic?