Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Stainless steel used in Chinese made grills

wrote:
(...)

I HOPE it was just a brain fart - thermal conductivity of stainless is
SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than plain steel.

Correct! I cop to the boo-boo. 'Significantly lower', yes.
I forfeit two RCM 'attaboys'.

And autogeneous"welding of stainless is SIP in MANY situations
(welding with no filler). Passivating the weld is sometimes required
to avoid rusting.

I found that to be the case after I autogenously welded my
chef's knife back together. (Note to self. Use something
else for chopping.)

It rusted on both sides of the HAZ for months.
With continuous cleaning using a non-metal scrubber, it isn't
rusting and it is nice and shiny again.
It is my favorite knife once more.

My thanks to Ed for explaining the metallurgy in simple terms.

--Winston