Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus19446 Ignoramus19446 is offline

Default Stainless steel used in Chinese made grills

On 2011-07-29, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:47:32 -0500, Ignoramus6004
wrote:

I bought a grill to put into the compressor that I aom converting into
a grill/pig roaster.

It is described as "stainless", but I recall that Chinese grill
stainless steel is something special.

As I may need to alter it a little bit, add tabs or drill holes, I
want to know what kind of stainless is it and what kind of welding rod
to use on it, and also, how can I drill it.

The safest choice for unknown ferrous or nickel based alloys is
Inconel 625. Inconel 82 is also quite forgiving. If the grill is
strongly magnetic, most any Inconel alloy would probably work somewhat
better than a 3xx (austenitic) rod. If the metal is non-magnetic, or
only weakly so, it's probably austenitic and any 3xx rod will work.

I am very happy to hear it, because I have a nice assortment of
inconel rods.