Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless steel used in Chinese made grills

On Jul 29, 12:03*am, wrote:

As for welding, using the same alloy as the project works best - but
any stainless rod will likely be "good enough" since it is not
something that needs to look good close up.

When you weld stainless you want to use a rod that has higher nickel
and chrome content then the part you are welding and that has lower
amounts of carbon. Since you do not know exactly what alloy of
stainless you have in the grill, which rod to use for the lowest cost
is unknown. But the more chrome and nickel the better, but more
expensive.

Is the grill magnetic? If it is fairly strongly magnetic , that would
indicate a 400 series stainless. Not strongly magnetic would be 300
series.

I would expert 308L would be fine as I doubt the grill is a high
chrome alloy. 309, 310, or 312 would probably be over kill.

Dan